The Adventure Starts Here: A Day in the Life

Thursday, October 20, 2016

A Day in the Life

I'm back today with another "A Day In The Life" posts. I decided I wanted to do these quarterly to really see how our lives change throughout the year. I love reading other posts just like this, maybe it's because I'm naturally curious, or nosey! Hopefully you enjoy reading these kinds of posts as well :) You can see all of my "A Day in the Life" posts here.  Noah is now in school 3 mornings a week and has swim another morning.  So each week, we have one day with no regularly scheduled obligations.  Here's how we typically spend our "free" Tuesdays.  

Today is Tuesday, October 11, 2016. Chris is 38, I am 32, and Noah is ALMOST 4 years old.

7am... Noah wakes up.  Since we still co-sleep, we wake up in the same bed and like to start our mornings slowly.  He immediately asks if Daddy is home.  Unfortunately daddy's long gone by the time Noah wakes up since he leaves by 6am to catch the train to NYC.  I let Noah have some time watching his iPad while I scroll through emails, social media, and a few blogs.  We also make sure to fit in some morning snuggles and take a trip to the bathroom before getting up for good.  

8 am... we are up and out of bed.  On Tuesdays, I change the sheets and wash the bedding.  Noah loves helping me strip both beds by pretending to be a bulldozer and pushing the sheets to the floor.  I throw one of the sets into the washing machine.  

8:45... since Noah doesn't have school on Tuesdays, we tend to take our time in the mornings.  Staying in pajamas and watching a show or two while we drink our breakfast smoothies.  

9 am... Noah is pretty good at playing while watching TV, so I really don't mind having it on in the background.  And Daniel Tiger is always good in my book.  Since Noah is entertained, I take the opportunity to iron Chris' shirts for the week.  

9:45... The first set of sheets are done, so I switch them to the dryer and ask Noah if he wants to help put his sheets in the washing machine.  It's hit or miss whether he wants to help or has no interest.  But I like to play it safe and ask, because he's been known to get upset cause he thinks I should have known that that particular time he wanted to help.  

^^^ still rocking the mismatched Hanna PJs and bringing his stool anywhere there's help needed!

10:30... I've started showering more at night so that I can get ready faster in the morning.  I let Noah watch one more show while I head upstairs to get dressed, curl my hair, and put some makeup on.  A quick photo of my outfit and I'm ready to go!  

11am... After getting Noah dressed, we head out to meet my mom at the mall.  Noah fell asleep on the way there, but he happily woke up when we get there.  Before meeting my mom, we headed over to Crate and Barrel to replace a dinner plate I recently dropped on the floor.  Then we met my mom at the fountain to let Noah throw in countless pennies.  For about 50 cents to a dollar, Noah is happy as a clam.  Let's just say that this is much cheaper than rewarding him with a toy when we go to Target!  

12:15... we have lunch at the Cheesecake Factory.  While we wait for our food to come, Noah introduces Grandma to his new favorite YouTube show, "Bernard the Polar Bear".  After lunch, I did a return at Loft and replaced some makeup I was just about to run out of.    I could tell Noah was getting tired, because despite having the stroller, he wanted me to carry him so he could play with my hair.  My mom and I were commenting that he'd most likely fall asleep on the way home, to which he quickly responded, "Yup!".  

2:15... And yes, he fell asleep as soon as we got in the car and stayed asleep for the transfer.  I didn't really want him to take a super long nap, so I put him on the couch and then proceeded to do work on my laptop and watch Dancing with the Stars sitting right next to him. I guess he was tired, because despite going about my business, he still slept until 4pm.  Isn't it funny how when we want our kids to nap and we tiptoe around them, they seem to wake up with the slightest noise. 

4pm... When Noah woke up from his nap, I tried to convince him to go for a walk with me or at least go ride his bike.  He wasn't interested and instead chose to play with his toys inside.  

5:45... I made pasta for dinner.  I had it with meat sauce while Noah ate it plain.  I put the leftovers away so Chris could have some when he got home.  

7pm... Chris is finally home, and Noah bugs him the entire time he's eating his dinner to help him do this dinosaur sticker book.  I help him while he waits for daddy, but as soon as Chris is done, Noah wants nothing to do with me.  

Since Noah napped, I let the boys play for longer than usual.  Then it was time for a bath.  When Chris is home, this is there time.  I edited my photos from the day and did some work on my computer.  I then step in to get his pajamas on and teeth brushed.  We read a few books and then say goodnight to daddy.  I can't remember exactly what time Noah fell asleep, but I'm thinking it was around 9:30.  Not ideal considering he had school the next day, but this is pretty normal when he naps.  I'm pretty exhausted, so I go to bed shortly after.  

So there you have it, a pretty typical day when we don't have anywhere we have to be. 


  1. I love that you used the black and white photos for this post.

    Showering at night can be a HUGE time saver, HUGE! If I always showered in the morning, I probably wouldn't take showers ever day #grosstruth

  2. I really like the black and white! I feel like if I did one of these posts it would be too boring for anyone to read, lol.

  3. What a great idea to do them quarterly to see how things change. I need to start doing this! I can just never remember to start documenting first thing in the morning. I loved getting a peek into your day! And I love the black and white photos.They seem to tell a story all on their own.

  4. Do you co-sleep because Noah ends up in bed with you throughout the night or does he start there? I'm only asking because Connor will end up in our bed 2-3 nights a week. Not that I mind all the time but 3 can be a crowd.

    And the fact that Noah naps makes me dislike you a bit. I wish Connor would nap from time to time.

  5. With the co sleep does he go to sleep in your bed first?

    I dread a nap with Aria, she is up for-ev-er. Without a nap she gets to bed around 9, she's in bed already but she rolls around for a long time before finally falling asleep. She sleeps in a bit though so it kind of evens out, that'll be fun when she starts school...
    And, coin toss into the water is a fave here too. They have a water fountain thing outside my OB office so I gave her a little purse with a bunch of pennies in it for my appt the other week so she and dad could make wishes.

  6. Seems as though I have the same question as a couple other people... you said you co-sleep and he wakes up in the same bed as you guys. Do you go to bed at the same time? You seemed to mention that you went to sleep slightly after him? Occasionally Mason will sleep with us, but for the most part he sleeps in his room. My situation is a bit different though and I count on this time between him going to bed and me going to bed to be able to catch up on things and do some blog stuff because sometimes it's the only time I have.

  7. These posts are seriously some of my favorites! Love your slow start to the mornings. And these pictures just so perfectly capture your day.


Blogging tips