The Adventure Starts Here: Our Honeymoon - Amalfi Coast

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Our Honeymoon - Amalfi Coast

This is the last post of our honeymoon. On Wednesday we took the train from Rome to Naples. We had arranged it so that our train left Rome at 9am and got to Naples at 10:10. We had a driver picking us up at the train station to take us on a chauffeured trip of the Amalfi Coast. We had heard the roads were ridiculously narrow and windy, so we decided it would be safer and more enjoyable to hire someone to drive us around to the coastal cities. Of course, the one day the trains are delayed was that day. We were about 15-20 minutes late and at first we couldn't find our driver. Since the train was delayed he had to move his car from temporary parking to permanent, so when we got there he was in the process of moving his car. He was a young guy who spoke perfect English! Chris was impressed he was driving a grey Mercedes-Benz S320 sedan.

He first took us to Sorrento. It was a very cute town full of shops on the main street. We sat down for a drink and bought Chris' mom some seeds to plant some veggies and herbs. I also found a little wood-carved elephant magnet. It started to rain while we were there... thank goodness we had an umbrella. It was a shame that the one day it rained was when we were on a drive of the coast with amazing views of the water :( But at least we had a car to pick us up and take us to each town.

The next city was Positano. We knew we'd be arriving there around lunchtime, so we asked the driver to recommend a good place to eat. He suggested we go to this family restaurant that is located in the hills of Positano rather than the actual town. We went there and it was super cool. It's completely family run and there are no menus. They basically just bring you out a ton of food. When we sat down she asked what kind of water we wanted, flat or fizzy, and then I said I'd have wine, and Chris said beer. Well out comes a huge bottle of water, a whole bottle of wine, and a huge beer! Good thing the wine was pretty weak or else I would have been passed out in the back seat the rest of the afternoon! They would describe all the food they brought out and one of the dishes he said, "It's what they call in english, a meat-a-ball". Then the pasta they actually had one that was simply described as "Mama's pasta", which was actually a manicotti type dish... it was my favorite! The restaurant also had really cool views of the water and cliffs! After lunch our driver took us to the town of Positano and we walked around and had desert at a fancy hotel on the water. It was nice to sit by the water despite the rain :)

The next 2 towns probably would have been more fun if it wasn't raining, but by that point it was raining harder and we really weren't in the mood to explore much. I wish that we could have enjoyed Amalfi and Ravello more. A couple we met on the cruise last year had raved about Ravello, so that was disappointing :(

That night we just ate at the hotel restaurant because the driver told us that the city of Naples wasn't very safe and it would be best to take a taxi wherever we went for dinner for safety reasons. We figured it wasn't really worth it and just stayed in. The hotel wasn't very nice so we ended up upgrading our room. Chris nicknamed the front desk guys "Tweedle Dee and Dum" because they could barely speak English and were of no help. We decided that since the train from Rome was only an hour and ten minutes long that we should have probably just stayed in Rome and taken 2 day trips to Naples to do the tours we had planned. But what can you do... traveling is about experimenting and learning.

Thursday we took a day tour that went to Pompeii and then to Mt. Vesuvius. We were getting picked up at 10:45 so we actually got to sleep in until 9! It may not seem late, but after that last few days, it felt luxurious! Pompeii was a lot of fun, but the pizza lunch that was included was not good. It was very hard to cut with the extremely dull butter knife they gave us, so after a while I gave up and just picked up the whole thing and ate it. Then we went to Mt. Vesuvius... the drive just to get there was ridiculously windy and I was almost getting car sick! Then we started the hike up. I got maybe half way up when my ears started really hurting because of the altitude. Chris was nice and didn't want to leave me alone so he could go to the top... instead he came back down the mountain with me. You would think that the last night of our honeymoon would have been a super romantic dinner, but since we were exhausted and scared to go out around town, we hit up the hotel restaurant again. It was really good that night... I had this great pasta with ricotta cheese and sauce (YUMMM!). We just packed and went to bed super early since we had to get up at 4am the next morning for our flight.

Chris loved that there was a car in Italy called "MEGANE". So he had me stand in front of it covering the "E" so that it was the MEGAN car (even though I have an "H" in my name)

Our flight home was from Naples to Rome, and then Rome to Newark. We got a cab at the ungodly hour of 5am and got to the airport before it was even open. We waited a lot and the whole experience was comical. As sitting at the gate we see what we thought was our plane right in front of the gate. Since it's a small airport we figured we'd be walking to the plane. Instead they had us all squeeze onto a shuttle bus where there was only standing room. The bus would move a few feet, stop, and the doors would open. Then we'd just wait... in total we probably waited for 15 minutes. Finally the bus drives in a circle and stops on the other side of our plane. The plane was closer to the gate than to wear the shuttle bus dropped us off. I really didn't get the point of the shuttle! At the gate we also saw a guy in a wheelchair who just randomly stood up, walked over to the trash bags, found the one that looked the emptiest, took it out of the bin, and used it as his carry-on! As he brought it on the plane Chris could see his almond wrapper that he had just previously thrown out in this guy's "carry-on"! The things we saw in Italy! The flight to Rome was only 35 minutes long... I fell asleep and the only reason I woke up is cause I felt the landing... I've never been that out of it! We had a pretty seamless flight back to Newark except for a little turbulence while circling the Newark airport, but nothing too bad.

While we had some interesting encounters while in Italy, the trip was amazing! It was so nice to get away and explore these amazing cities with my new husband! Now we are back in NJ settling into the apartment as a married couple. So far it's a lot of fun!

Again... if you want to see ALL the pictures, they are all on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips